Thursday 26 December 2013

My favorite American Christmas cookie

Us Americans love peanut butter, especially when it's paired with chocolate. You don't have peanut butter M&M's in the UK and Europe so you don't know what perfection really tastes like. It's not your fault.

My mother makes peanut butter blossoms every Christmas. They're a staple. Since I am too pregnant to fly home, I've decided to treat my in-laws this year. I've had to make some sight adjustments due to personal preference and availability, but honestly, they are better this way. My mother makes them with Hershey's kisses which are gross. I make them with +Cadbury UK buttons; BIG improvement.


125 grams unsalted butter (sometimes I substitute about half of this with coconut oil)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1/4 cup +Nutella
1 teaspoon vanilla
the zest of one orange
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 and 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 bag of buttons, or whatever chocolate you have that isn't Hershey's

Cream the butter and sugars together. Add the egg, Nutella, peanut butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and orange zest. Slowly add the flour and then the bicarbonate of soda. Put the dough in the fridge for 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Roll the dough into balls and place on a baking pan (I usually cover mine in parchment paper). Bake for 9 minutes; until they start to slightly crack. Take out of the oven. Press chocolate pieces into the center of each cookie. Let them cool for a minute on the baking sheet, and then remove.

nom nom nom


No comments:

Post a Comment