Monday 18 November 2013

Practical hippie: Homemade deoderant

People always think I am, well, a bit strange when they find out that I make my own deodorant. My sisters in law definitely think I'm slightly mental.
To me, it just makes sense. I was unhappy with the results of the products I was buying at the pharmacy, so I tried making my own. I won't say it works better than the brand names, but it works just as well and with so many added perks. I get to decided what it smells like, the consistency, and what goes into it. I'm not a health nut but I don't want to put aluminum chloride on the skin right next to my breasts when I am breast feeding.
I got the recipe I use from Keeper of the Home. She's clever, and has worked it out so you can put it in an old deodorant container for easy application. I didn't have any of those so I just put it on like a lotion every day. I ordered most of the ingredients off Amazon and have included links.


1/8 cup arrowroot powder
1/8 cup baking soda
2 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 heaped Tbsp beeswax pellets
8 drops of whatever essential oil you like

Heat all ingredients in a pot on low until melted. Stir and pour into whatever container you are using and let set. Then end.



No comments:

Post a Comment