Monday 28 October 2013

Smoothie Breakfast: the best part of my day




Since becoming pregnant I have developed a bit of an obsession with my morning smoothie. There are so many reasons that a good smoothie is the best way to start your day.  
.
It's a delicious way to use up fruit that is bruised or getting on
.
You can add healthy things that you don't actually want to taste
.
Depending on what you add, it can be a great source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber
.
2 of your 5 a day
.


As recommended by my midwife, I try to eat a large variety of fruits and vegetables. When that fruit starts to look a bit tired I get excited: I get to try a new smoothie. I cut it up, ration it in little bags, and stick it in the freezer. The next day I toss it in the blender with a few staples and I get a filling, tasty, and nutritious refreshment.  Most of the time.  

My smoothie staples:

Frozen Fruit (pretty much any thing I've got laying around)
Oats (for the fiber)
Ginger (tasty and calms the stomach)
Spinach (source of iron and you don't even taste it)
Cinnamon and Turmeric (just a dash for natural pain relief...again, you don't taste it)
Natural Yogurt (helps digestion)
Apple Juice (adds tang)

I also like to add in sweet vegetables from time to time, such as peppers, carrots, or beet root.  Experimentation is fun, but can sometimes lead to disaster. 

Things I would not recommend in a smoothie:

Apples
Broccoli
Rocket or other strong flavored greens




I got my food processor from amazon.  It's a Kenwood FP731 Multi Pro Food Processor and it works like a dream.  I've used the blender attachment for all my smoothies and I have no complaints.


Food Processor - £79.00

No comments:

Post a Comment